For use day or night the Comet Red Handflare is a short-range distress signal used to pinpoint position. May be carried on the ship’s bridge and is a requirement in ship’s Lifeboats and Liferafts.
The handflare is suitable for use on other commercial and recreational boats. Also available is the Comet White Collision Warn-off Handflare which is for use day or night when a collision danger exists or for the illumination of small areas outside.
Ideally, both products should be stored in the robust, specially designed Polybottle, or in a dry, easily accessed location at ambient temperature.
1. Pull out red end until telescopic tube is fully extended and engaged.
2. Unscrew red end cap and point away.
3. Pull ball out sharply to fire.
4. Hold at arms length. Point Downwind. End plug ejects after 2 seconds delay.
- Length: 175mm
- Length with handle pulled out:
- Diameter: 28mm
- Weight: 160g
- Light intensity: 15,000 candela
- Burning time: 60 seconds
- Colour of light: red
- Ignition: pull-wire ignitor
- Net explosive content: 61g
- Approvals: Conforms to: SOLAS 74/88 as amended, IMO resolutions (MED) 96/98/EC, SBG 423.006, USCG